Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

QT 4 Jul 16, 1 Tim 5:8, Quintessential Christian failure: the anti-witness

1 Tim 5:8 (ESV) But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

NOTE: How can a believer be worse than an unbeliever (in any way)? I don't think the argument is soteriological, since salvation is not works-based. And yet the argument compares a person of faith to a person who does not have faith. When I was in Europe, I was surprised to see so much moral behavior and yet Christianity is mostly dead in Europe. Yet behavior was better there than in my so-called Christian nation, which is so far from that definition today. But even some church attendees fail to show the basic kindness I experienced in my travels.  I think what is worse, is to carry the name of Christ, and yet not live as Christ commanded. In that sense, a believer is truly worse than an unbeliever because he or she is an anti-witness. Not taking care of you family is quintessential anti-witness .

No comments:

Post a Comment