Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

QT 12 Oct 16, 1 Pet 4:9-11, If the Body of Christ uses their gifts for good, we can tear down the misconceptions of the ignorant and foolish

1 Peter 4:9–11 (ESV) — 9 Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: 11 whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 

NOTE: In context, Peter's letter has focused on the temporality of this life, the importance of being a witness, and the suffering we may experience because of our different worldview. I think the latter point (our suffering for a different worldview) is what this section expands. If we are suffering because we stand out, we need the body of Christ to support us. As believers, our common defining characteristic should be love ("they will know you are my disciples by your love"). But the key value of the body of Christ is that we each have specialized gifts. We are not just a collection of persons with a common belief, but we are unique and special in terms of what we can do to build up the body of Christ. In a certain sense, the body of Christ is both a sanctuary (for the believer) and a tool of outreach. We can do so much more together. And the body, in and of itself, can also be a witness for Jesus Christ. When we reach out during times of disaster employing our God-given gifts, we are also breaking down the misconceptions of the ignorant and foolish. They have tried to destroy Christianity by providing ignorant and foolish arguments, that at times defy logic and basic scientific principles. But our actions as a body, more so than our apologetic arguments (based on logic, philosophy,  and science), can do more good in changing the view of the unbelieving population toward Jesus, the church, and the word of God.

PONDER:
1) Part of the reason for ministry is to support our mutual outreach. For some of us, we are not involved and need to be involved in ministry to support each other. For all of us, we need to be reaching out to our community. How am I doing?
2) How can I use my ministry to support outreach?
3) How can I do better in outreach -- how can I identify with Jesus? How can I share my testimony of salvation? How can I serve a neighbor and established a connection?

PRAYER: Father, I want to serve you. I know that serving the body is how I can serve you. I want to be in the right ministry that supports and builds up the body. I also want to reach out to my neighbors and be a witness for Jesus in the places you have placed me. Give me grace and strength to follow through on those commitments. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment