Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

QT 18 Oct 16, 1 Pet 5:5-6, When we are proud, we end up fighting God

1 Peter 5:5–6 (ESV) — 5 Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

NOTE: The elders are to show humility to the body, and the youngers are to show humility to the elders. And to emphasize this point, God says that he opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. If I am trying to do something for my glory or pride, I will find myself fighting against God. If I really want to do something for the kingdom, I have to be humble. For myself, that starts with always giving God thanks for successes. Secondly, for myself, it is acknowledging what God is doing in the situation. God should always get the praise, not me. God has given me gifts and abilities, but they are nothing without him working through me and I am nothing if he hadn't chosen to give those gifts. I need to get the focus off of me and onto him. I do not want to do ministry where I am fighting God.

No comments:

Post a Comment