Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 27, 2016

QT 27 Oct 16, 2 Pet 1:9-11, Not growing, then the person is so nearsighted, he is blind to his salvation

2 Peter 1:9–11 (ESV) — 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. 10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

NOTE: The qualities (verse 9) are Christian growth areas (vs 5-7) that are achieved through a relationship with Christ centered on the word (vs 4) of God. Peter's portrayal of a Christian who is not growing ought to be a wake-up call for any believer--"so nearsighted, he is blind." On the other hand, if we practice (live) these qualities, the promise is that we will never fall, and that there is a reward in Heaven. I like the linkage between reward and not forgetting that we have been cleansed from our former sins. In my mind, that is the great beauty of the reward, it is a way to communicate to God "thank you" for such an unbelievable gift. I will not have anything of myself to say I deserved it, but I can say thank you by living in a way that brings God glory and honor here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment