Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 10, 2017

QT 10 Jul 17, John 14:1-7, Truth is

John 14:1–7 (ESV) — 1 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

NOTE: One of the most famous statements of Jesus is his claim of being the way to God--actually, the only way to God. It is an exclusive statement, and if true, it must be exclusive. One cannot make truth to be what they want it to be. Truth is. Or it is not truth. Just as God is, or does not exist. Jesus makes multiple claims of divinity. They cannot be ignored without risk to a person's eternal destiny. Jesus was returning to heaven to prepare a new home. Thomas was focused on the seen and material. Jesus was referring to the unseen and eternal, our larger life. Claims, like Jesus made, can be dismissed but only if you categorize the claimant as lying, deranged, or ignorant. Jesus' life clearly shows none of these characteristics. He was rational, logical, incredibly precise, and organized in his speech and thought processes. He was not trying to be popular. He would challenge a follower as easily as a hypocritical Pharisee. Which brings us back to his claim to be the only way to God--how can he make such a claim? He is God and truth is.

No comments:

Post a Comment