Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 6, 2017

QT 6 Jul 17, Ps 95:7-9, Faith is believing in God's personal love and care for you

Psalm 95:7–9 (ESV) — 7 For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture,
and the sheep of his hand.
Today, if you hear his voice,
8 do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah,
as on the day at Massah in the wilderness,
9 when your fathers put me to the test
and put me to the proof, though they had seen my work.

NOTE: The more I read this passage, the more I am convinced that the Israelite's lack of faith was not a disbelief in God's power. Even the passage says, "though they had seen my work." No, the issue is the phrase "put me to the test" and "put me to the proof." What were they testing or trying to prove? That God is powerful? I don't think so. The only one that makes sense, given that Massah and Meribah refer to the places where the people ran out of water in the desert, is his care. They had only a few days to live given three million people needing water. The babies, the children, and some of the animals will die. The people "demand" that God supply water, else it proves God does not care. There is no doubt God is powerful, but does God care? Water could not wait, but was required immediately for survival, therefore God must respond now! The issue was that the people did not believe God loved or cared for them individually. He was moving the nation to an objective in the grand scheme, but they were not sure he cared or knew them individually. They had no personal relationship with God. Unlike David, who later would exalt in a personal relationship, these people did not believe in God's love. We need the same faith of David, not that God is powerful and can do anything, but that God will do what is best for me because he loves me (and that may include him not doing what we want him to do--which is true faith). Help me Lord, to obey your word and to believe in your love for me, and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment