Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

QT 7 Feb 18, Phil 2:12, Sanctification requires application of God's word ot one's life


Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
16
 2/7
Phil 2:12-18
Philippians 2:12 (ESV) —
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
We don't work for salvation and yet this verse suggests otherwise. Actually there are three aspects to salvation. When we believe, our position changes--we are justified in God's eyes. While we live, we are in the process of being sanctified--becoming more like Jesus (this is the working out discussed here). When we die, we will be glorified, the final aspect of salvation which is yet future.
Becoming like Christ is an important aspect of our salvation. It occurs through obedience and work, something like application. Not only that, but we are to do it with fear and trembling which is suggestive of seriousness. Do we really take obedience to God seriously?
Father, help me, help our church to see the importance of seriousness in our walk with God. Change us, wake us, remake us in your image.

No comments:

Post a Comment