Hebrews 11:13–16 (ESV) —
13 These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14 For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15 If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
NOTE: This is a key paragraph in understanding faith, and stands as a counter to the health and wealth gospel adherents. Later, verses 35-40 will echo the same message. Faith is not about what you get here on earth, but it is believing that whatever happens, in the end, God is the rewarder of those who trust him. God's will, will be accomplished -- that should be our greatest desire. A focus on comfort misses the whole point of life, we are spiritual creatures with eternal destinies. When we focus on the physical aspects of life over the spiritual aspects, we are led astray by our own evil desires.
As I write this, I sit in a very quiet and comfortable upstairs room. It is early in the morning. It is peaceful. My chair is very comfortable. I slept well in a very nice and comfortable bed. I have to asked myself; do I live what I write? My focus is on doing God's will. I am not seeking comfort, but it has come upon me. I share the concerns of most parents for my children. Life could change in an instant, as it often has. I lived through many very painful years of children with multiple serious medical concerns. I did not know if one would live. But clearly now, things are much better physically, and spiritually as well. I retired a few years ago. We are a daycare for our two toddler grandchildren. That part is not always comfortable but is very important. My focus continues on making disciples. This year I hope to see 30 or more groups (3-4 people) each focused on being disciples, and later on going on and making disciples. I have been doing this for ten years in our church, but also ever since I came to Christ in college. This is my retirement, making disciples and disciple-makers. I plan to do this until the Lord takes me home. In that sense, this is what it means to walk by faith. Yes, my life (now) is at ease, but my mission remains to walk with God and to make disciples.
PONDER:
- What is your mission? What are you doing with your life?
- What are you seeking? It is not wrong to live in comfort, it is not the goal we should be seeking.
PRAYER: Father, this is a critical week as we reach out to a new generation that have never learned what it means to be a disciple. I pray for you to open eyes to truth and to their need. I pray for people to truly seek you.
No comments:
Post a Comment