Ephesians 4:1–6 (ESV) —
1 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
NOTE: What does it mean to walk in a manner worthy of our calling? Paul gives us 5 descriptive words to describe this life walk.
One, our life needs to be characterized by humility. In our narcissistic culture, this is seen less and less. Our culture promotes self, and self-importance. I remembering seeing a congresswoman standing in the door way of first class on an airplane talking on the phone, even as the announcement was being made to sit down and put phones in airplane mode. In her mind, she was more important, and rules did not apply to her. It was a very ugly picture, as most prideful people are, they paint ugly pictures.
Two, our life should be characterized by gentleness. This is closely aligned with humility. Gentleness is considered a weakness by some. I like these two quotes. Saint Francis de Sales said, "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." Leo Rosten said, "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."
Three, our life should be patient. In a world where everything is now, now, now, and go, go, go, the patient person stands out. Patience (for a believer in Jesus Christ) can be developed by believing that God has everything in control. I don't have to worry. I can cast my anxieties upon him.
There are two more qualities, bearing one another in love and eager to maintain unity of the spirit. But for today, the above three qualities are enough to meditate on how I can improve.
PONDER:
- What does my life look like? Do people see humility, gentleness, and patience? Why not?
PRAYER: Father, continue to change me to be more like my savior. I want people to see Jesus in my life, and realize Jesus changed my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment