Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

QT 24 Mar 10

Ex 14:25 (NIV) He made the wheels of their chariots come off so that they had difficulty driving. And the Egyptians said, "Let's get away from the Israelites! The Lord is fighting for them against Egypt."

NOTE: Belief in God requires more than intellectual assent to his existence or to his hand's involvement in some event. The Egyptians identified God through his actions. The Egyptians believed in the God of Israel. But the Egyptians had not put their faith in God.

Today, the situation has a lot of similarity. There are a lot of people with belief in God, his existence, his works, his claims, and even his involvement in their lives. Yet there is no corresponding effect upon their life (James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that — and shudder). So, true belief is an act of the will in declaring one's trust in Jesus Christ's death for their sins; and should be characterized by a corresponding change in a person's life (2 Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!).

Sadly, many will stand before God and claim all kinds of things done for him, and God will say he never knew them (Matt 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!').

No comments:

Post a Comment