Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 18, 2011

QT 18 Apr 11

Col 2:1-4 (NIV) I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. 2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.

NOTE: Another clue to Paul's relationship to this valley (the churches reside in a common valley) is that he has not met the Laodiceans either. But still he feels a responsibility to both those from Laodicea and those from Colossae. His struggle, that he refers to must be one of prayer, although I'm sure it also took some effort to write the two letters and to send someone to deliver the letters.  Paul is doing all he can, and sometimes the only thing that can be done is prayer.  While I am convinced that prayer is always good, sometimes we do too little, especially in response to a person's need when we say "I'll pray for you."  I suppose what is even worse is when we don't really pray for them after saying that we'll pray for them.  Still, praying is a very good thing, and can be a very effective work.  When all we can do is pray, we surely ought to.  When we can do more, we should pray and do what we can, but only after prayer.  Which gets into another issue, and that is fixing people's problems which God has allowed for a purpose.  Sometimes our efforts to relieve another's pain are in direct opposition to what God is doing in their life.  I think that is most true when we deal with our adult children.  And prayer is important, to know what God would have us to do, and to ask that they are receptive to what God is teaching them in their struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment