Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, April 8, 2011

QT 8 Apr 11

Php 4:14–17 (NIV) Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15 Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17 Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account.

NOTE: For Paul, money was never the issue.  He believed God would provide his need, and if for some reason God did not, that only meant that God wanted him to work.  He would start up his tent-making business part time during those days.  He never doubted God's care or provision.  His excitement at monetary gifts was not for himself but for the person or group of persons who were giving.  Why?  Because giving is a sign of spiritual maturity.  There is a reward for giving -- it may not happen in this life, but God does reward those who give.  Therefore, Paul was excited, because the gifts he received meant even greater spiritual gifts to those who gave both in this life and in the life to come.  Developing the ability to give cheerfully is one of the greatest joys of the Christian life and is a sign of spiritual growth in the giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment