Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

QT 13 Jul 11, God's punishment is greater for his shepherds


Jer 23:14-15 (NIV) And among the prophets of Jerusalem
I have seen something horrible:
They commit adultery and live a lie.
They strengthen the hands of evildoers,
so that no one turns from his wickedness.
They are all like Sodom to me;
the people of Jerusalem are like Gomorrah."

15 Therefore, this is what the Lord Almighty says concerning the prophets:

"I will make them eat bitter food
and drink poisoned water,
because from the prophets of Jerusalem
ungodliness has spread throughout the land."

NOTE:  God's word has many warnings for the teachers, prophets, and shepherds of his people.  They are held under a stricter judgment than others.  Here, God's anger is directed against the prophets, for they "live a lie."  If we were honest, we would admit that we all struggle at one time or another with living a lie.  We do the very things we teach that others should not do.  The key test, is whether we are willing to repent of our sins or not.  Or do we try to ignore our sin, or even worse to justify our sin.  The man seeking God will respond to God as David, "against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge (Ps 51:4)." 

Father, may I never harden my heart to my sin.  May I never hide from you.  Always have mercy on me, for I know I am a sinner.  Forgive me and restore me when I fail.  Thank you for your mercy and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment