Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 28, 2011

QT 28 Jul 11, As the bride of Christ, we are to be wholly devoted to Christ


Jer 31:22 (NIV) How long will you wander,
O unfaithful daughter?
The Lord will create a new thing on earth —
a woman will surround a man."

NOTE: This is a particularly difficult verse to understand.  In context, the unfaithful daughter is Israel.  Some have suggested that to surround a man means: the virgin birth (a woman having a child without a man), a woman (Israel) defeating a man (Babylon), a woman courting a man, and others.  I think the term "a new thing" is mentioned elsewhere in Jeremiah as well and it refers to a heart that wants to know God--so the new thing would be Israel (the woman) seeking the savior (Jesus), whereas, normally it has been God seeking Israel.  Some day, all Israel will recognize their sin and repent.  They will turn and call upon God, and God will place his spirit in their heart.  That is the new thing and it could be happening right now with the church and the remnant of believers who are Jewish (or still be later when it is all Israel at the end of the tribulation).

How does this apply to me?  I am part of the body of Christ, the bride of the savior.  I need to be fully devoted to God.  I must not let things, especially material things, steer my devotion away from my savior.  That is adultery with the world, where material things become an idol and take my devotion away from my savior.  Father, forgive me for my failures.  I want to be wholly devoted to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment