Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 15, 2011

QT 15 Jul 11, What kind of figs am I producing?


Jer 24:1-10 (NIV) After Jehoiachin son of Jehoiakim king of Judah and the officials, the craftsmen and the artisans of Judah were carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, the Lord showed me two baskets of figs placed in front of the temple of the Lord. 2 One basket had very good figs, like those that ripen early; the other basket had very poor figs, so bad they could not be eaten.

3 Then the Lord asked me, "What do you see, Jeremiah?"

"Figs," I answered. "The good ones are very good, but the poor ones are so bad they cannot be eaten."

4 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 5 "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: 'Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians.  6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.

8 "'But like the poor figs, which are so bad they cannot be eaten,' says the Lord, 'so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem, whether they remain in this land or live in Egypt. 9 I will make them abhorrent and an offense to all the kingdoms of the earth, a reproach and a byword, an object of ridicule and cursing, wherever I banish them. 10 I will send the sword, famine and plague against them until they are destroyed from the land I gave to them and their fathers.'"

NOTE: Despite God's discipline on the people of Judah for their sins, God does not give up on his people.  He is working on their hearts even while they are in exile.  He promises to protect them and to bring them back to the land in the future.  In the next recorded prophecy, the actual time of 70 years is decreed for their captivity. 

Jesus, near the end of his ministry, curses a fig tree for not producing fruit, and then uses it as an illustration of the end times.  The interesting point is that it was not the time for figs when Jesus curses the tree.  So, Jesus knew it would not have figs on it.  But I think Jesus' point might be related to this verse.  God withdrew his offer of salvations to the Jews and gave it to the Gentiles because they did not recognize the time of their salvation.  But at some point in the future, God will save all Israel.  He has never abandoned his people both in the past and in the future.

What do I learn from this verse?  I think a good question to ask is what kind of fruit am I producing in my Christian fruit?  Is it useful or is it so poor that it has no usefulness in the kingdom?  I think our fruit is more related to our relationship with Christ than to the amount of time that we spend in ministry.  Our core strength comes from a deep walk with God.  Out of that relationship flows changes in our lives that can't help but impact others for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment