Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

QT 22 Aug 12, Every person must deal with the claims of Jesus


John 8:23-30 (NIV) But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am [the one I claim to be], you will indeed die in your sins."

25 "Who are you?" they asked.

"Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied. 26 "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world."

27 They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 28 So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am [the one I claim to be] and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. 29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."  30 Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him.

NOTE: Verse 24 is very close to God's reply to Moses' question about God's name, "I am." And Jesus points to the crucifixion and his coming resurrection as future proof of his claims. Jesus says that he is from above, distinctly different from the audience who are from below. He is not of the world, they are of the world. And if they are not willing to believe that fact, they will die in their sins. Again, these are not the words of a good teacher, nor are they the words of just a prophet, because they are personal (concerning himself) and direct. As a result many do understand and many put their faith in him. Today, people do not like to admit Jesus' claim to be God's one and only son. Even passages like this are used since they are not as direct as mockers demand. But there was little doubting his claims among the Jews, for he was killed for this very reason, claiming to be equal to God (see John 19:7 and Matt 26:63-66). Ultimately, every person must come to terms with the claims of Christ. Will I believe? Or will I cling to some falsehood as my excuse for not believing, thinking that I am so intelligent as not needing a savior?

John 19:7 (NIV) The Jews insisted, "We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God."

Matt 26:63b-66 (NIV) … The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."

64 "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

65 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66 What do you think?"

"He is worthy of death," they answered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment