Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, August 24, 2012

QT 24 Aug 12, Faith and daily intake of the word can free us from spiritual slavery


John 8:31-38 (NIV) To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

33 They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you do what you have heard from your father."

NOTE: They are really two groups here, a group that believes, and a group that does not believe. The promise of the Word's effect is given to believers. In my own life, when I was religious, I read the bible at times but saw little effect on my life. When I became a believer, reading the bible completely transformed my life. The word is powerful both in a believer and in an unbeliever's life. But transformation and freedom from the slavery to sin is only promised to the believer who diligently seeks God in His word. The unbelieving crowd, to a certain extent, prove the limited effect of the word on their lives. They misinterpret Jesus' words and get angry at the thought that they could be slaves to anyone. Their argument, while aimed at the wrong thing, doesn't even make sense. They have been slaves at multiple times in their lives to a variety of countries (Assyria (for some), Babylon, Greece, and Rome). But Jesus is not talking about physical slavery, rather his focus is on spiritual slavery. Only belief and daily intake of the word of God can free us from spiritual slavery to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment