Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 27, 2012

QT 27 Aug 12, Jesus' statements can't be ignored


John 8:41-47, 52-53, 56-59 (NIV) "You are doing the things your own father does."

"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47 He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

. . .  the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"

. . . 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

57 "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"

58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

NOTE: Jesus words are as strong as any in scripture regarding his divinity. They are so strong that the crowds pick up stones to stone him. Jesus claims a different Father, that he directly came from. Jesus claims that a person who keeps his words will never see death (Jn 8:51). Jesus claims to have existed before Abraham. Jesus claims to have never sinned and challenges the crowd to prove him wrong on that point. Jesus also claims a direct knowledge of their Father, the devil, "a liar from the beginning who when he lies, speaks his native language."  There is no denying Jesus claims, and there is no way to categorize Jesus as just a good man or a good teacher. He cannot be so easily pushed to the side. No, Jesus is unlike any other man in history. He made incredible statements and confirmed those statements with action and truth. The authenticity of the claims cannot be denied, although a person can choose to not belief. But upon what does a person based his unbelief? There is nothing a rational person can choose. They must ignore the facts and create reasons (that don't exist) to justify their foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment