Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 25, 2013

QT 25 Jan 13, Filling of the Spirit does not guarantee knowledge of the Lord


Judges 11:29-35 (NIV) Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites. 30 And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

32 Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the Lord gave them into his hands. 33 He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon.

34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of tambourines! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter. 35 When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, "Oh! My daughter! You have made me miserable and wretched, because I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break."

NOTE: The decay in Israel continues. Jephthah knows Israel's history as evidenced by 7:14-28, but he does not know Israel's laws. He has not been taught God's word. First of all, human sacrifice of any kind is forbidden by God's word. Secondly, the law makes provision for getting out of a vow. Thirdly, God's performance cannot be tied to some human action. God is not controlled by human beings. And while God does sometimes answer poor prayers, the bible does not teach quid-pro-quo prayers. Of note is that Jepthah is filled with the Spirit and it causes him to move out, but it does not stop him from making stupid decisions. Filling of the spirit is no guarantee that the words you say or the thoughts that you have will be correct. The only correct word from God are the ones found in the Word of God. There is a great danger when people starting giving others "words from God," unless they are repeating a command of scripture. The real message of this passage is the total lack of teaching, independent of any filling of the spirit. The people don't know the word and the descent into new levels of sin continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment