Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 7, 2013

QT 7 Jan 13, What is my natural response to circumstances, positive or negative? And what does that say about my faith?


Gen 42:33-36 (NIV) "Then the man who is lord over the land said to us, 'This is how I will know whether you are honest men: Leave one of your brothers here with me, and take food for your starving households and go. 34 But bring your youngest brother to me so I will know that you are not spies but honest men. Then I will give your brother back to you, and you can trade in the land.'"

35 As they were emptying their sacks, there in each man's sack was his pouch of silver! When they and their father saw the money pouches, they were frightened. 36 Their father Jacob said to them, "You have deprived me of my children. Joseph is no more and Simeon is no more, and now you want to take Benjamin. Everything is against me!"

NOTE: There is no mention of Jacob's response until after the emptying of the grain sacks. It's possible some of the hungry families had already started unloading the sacks even as the story is told. And as they are unloading they see the money pouches. Since they have already found one money pouch, they now open all of the sacks and find their money in each one. It is obviously beyond circumstance and is no accident. Not only are they accused spies, they are now thieves. Their chances of ever getting any additional food are slim. Of course, they might not now that the famine will continue for another five years and so a visit to Egypt might be avoided. It doesn't say much for their concern for Simeon. But Jacob's response occurs after the money is found. Jacob sees everything from a negative perspective, in fact they all do. Even though Joseph may have done it for a good purpose, they view it as a curse from God. "Everything is against me" is Jacob's wail. Really, was everything against you when you lived in Laban? How easy we forget the good things of God when we are dealing with disappointment and bitterness.

No comments:

Post a Comment