Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 4, 2013

QT 4 Jan 13, Don't waste your life in bitterness and depression, take those emotions to God


Gen 43:1-4, 8-14 (NIV) Now the famine was still severe in the land. 2 So when they had eaten all the grain they had brought from Egypt, their father said to them, "Go back and buy us a little more food."

3 But Judah said to him, "The man warned us solemnly, 'You will not see my face again unless your brother is with you.'
. . .
8 Then Judah said to Israel his father, "Send the boy along with me and we will go at once, so that we and you and our children may live and not die. 9 I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him here before you, I will bear the blame before you all my life. 10 As it is, if we had not delayed, we could have gone and returned twice."

11 Then their father Israel said to them, "If it must be, then do this: Put some of the best products of the land in your bags and take them down to the man as a gift — a little balm and a little honey, some spices and myrrh, some pistachio nuts and almonds. 12 Take double the amount of silver with you, for you must return the silver that was put back into the mouths of your sacks. Perhaps it was a mistake. 13 Take your brother also and go back to the man at once. 14 And may God Almighty grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved."

NOTE: The people are out of food and must go back to Egypt, but this time with Benjamin. Israel (Jacob)  does not want Benjamin to go with them. Judah doesn't make the same mistake as Reuben and  offers a different argument. He takes responsibility personally to bring back Benjamin. It is not clear if Jacob's response is one of trust in God or just not caring any more (a sign of depression). While I would like to think positive about Jacob, I believe he is depressed, disheartened, and dispirited. Life has lost its joy. He has let bitterness and loss rule his life for so long, that he no longer cares anymore. And yet, in a few months, he will revive and his life will once again carry the joy and excitement of living, once he learns that Joseph is alive. The sad part is that he didn't need to waste 17 years before he regained a renewed spirit. I think all of us are vulnerable to bitterness and depression. And many waste some of their best years lost in that mire. But, that is why quiet time is so important. When we make personal time with God in the morning, every morning, God will break through the fog and speak to our heart and pull us out of our personal mire. It may not happen immediately or every time, but it won't last years to revive our spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment