Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 3, 2013

QT 3 Jan 13, The new year is a time of revival and letting go of past hurts


Gen 42:35-38 (NIV) As they were emptying their sacks, there in each man's sack was his pouch of silver! When they and their father saw the money pouches, they were frightened. 36 Their father Jacob said to them, "You have deprived me of my children. Joseph is no more and Simeon is no more, and now you want to take Benjamin. Everything is against me!"

37 Then Reuben said to his father, "You may put both of my sons to death if I do not bring him back to you. Entrust him to my care, and I will bring him back."

38 But Jacob said, "My son will not go down there with you; his brother is dead and he is the only one left. If harm comes to him on the journey you are taking, you will bring my gray head down to the grave in sorrow."

NOTE: Jacob shows very little courage. He has already given up on ever seeing Simeon again. Reuben's argument is both ridiculous and strong. Jacob is not going to kill his grandchildren, no matter what happens, but the argument does seem to get his father's attention. Jacob is in a major pity party. His statement "everything is against me" is a good picture of the last 17 years of his life. For a man who once had everything going for him, even when Laban was against him, he is now in a funk and has completely forgotten God's previous protection. This highlights a failure of most believers, when times are hard, we quickly forget the miracles of the past and allow our emotions to dictate our response to circumstances. In one sense, this is good--we do need to allow our emotions out and to recognize how we feel. But when it continues for years, then we are living in a pity party and are not seeking God. One could argue that Jacob's response is a very short term emotional outburst, but I wonder. In Gen 45:26-27, when Jacob learns Joseph is alive, he is stunned, and his spirit revives. For 17 years, Jacob let his pain rule his life, in chapter 45, he lets God rule again. Coincidentally , in the next verses after his revival, God speaks to him in a vision again. Is there something that has happened in the past that I can't let go of, and is it affecting my walk and spirit today? That is the question we must ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment