Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 20, 2014

QT 20 Nov 14, Eph 4:20-24, Sanctification requires renewal of the mind

20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.



NOTE: Studying Romans has really opened up the rest of bible to me. I see Paul's same line of thought here but more fully explained in Romans. In Rom 6-8, Paul talks about the sanctification process and in particular the battle between our flesh and our new mind. This battle requires actions (works) on our part. It means a change in behavior. We need to STOP doing certain things which feed the flesh and START doing certain things that feed the spirit of our mind. To renew our mind means to think differently. That means as much exposure as possible in truth. Reading the word, listening to godly men, studying the bible, and memorizing it are important steps to a renewed mind. Rom 12-15 suggests surrender, mind renewal, community involvement, and purpose as the keys. So the first step is surrender which includes repentance. We need to repent of the deeds of the flesh and re-commit ourselves to the process of renewing our minds. Lord sanctify me. I want to be more like my savior in my life and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment