Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

QT 25 Nov 14, Lk 4:27, What is the plan?

Luke 4:27 (ESV) And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian."

NOTE: Jesus is back home speaking in the synagogue and responding to the theoretical question of why he does not heal more people in his hometown. Interestingly, he chooses to bring up one of the Messianic miracles, the healing of leprosy. Since the giving of the law and the instructions in it concerning leprosy, no person in Israel is ever recorded as having been healed of leprosy. Miriam's healing was prior to the law, and Naaman wasn't even an Israelite, so he was not required to follow the dictates of the law (report to a priest, etc). I believe Jesus has already healed the ten lepers, a fulfillment of one of the three Messianic miracles. And he specifically brings up leprosy in his discussion at his hometown. I doubt any of them had leprosy or they wouldn't be in the synagogue, but the focus on one of the signs of his status as the Messiah is hard to ignore. Ultimately, it is these words which upset the crowd, to the point that they try to stone their hometown son. But they don't or rather they can't, because God has a greater plan for His Son.

What is God's plan for me? Do I see his hand in my life or do I think I control my destiny? And should I be bolder with my words, like Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment