Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, November 29, 2014

QT 29 Nov 14, Lev 19:17-18, Love as Jesus loved

Lev 19:17-18 (ESV) "You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18  You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.


NOTE: Jesus said, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." Yet, we see that this is an old commandment from the OT. What is Jesus saying? The new commandment is the spin added in Jesus' second phrase "just as I have loved you." How has Jesus loved us? He sacrificed his very life for us. So the new commandment is to practice sacrificial love for each other. Jesus' statement is in the context of fellow believers "by this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." But love is also to be extended to our neighbor. In the sermon on the mount, Jesus expands the OT definition of loving our neighbors to include our enemies as well, and to pray for them. Love is a characteristic of the Christian life and to not show love brings disgrace on the family name, as many shamefully do today. We should be the most gracious and kind persons on the earth--not afraid to stand up for sin and not afraid to love the unlovely. We people scorn us, we need to pray for them. We don't return eye for eye, but we return love for ugliness. God, help me to see where I subtly take vengeance on others with cutting words or feigned empathy. I want to live the life of love that you lived as an example for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment