Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, November 28, 2014

QT 28 Nov 14, 3 Jn 1-4, The greatest joy is not health or a good life, but to walk in truth

3 John 1-4 (ESV) The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth.

2 Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.


NOTE: Sometimes I get annoyed by prayers that focus on sickness and health. I know that is not right; and I never express my annoyance (at least that I am aware). But in this passage, John is saying that he prays for the two things that I usually don't see as important, and two other things that I consider of paramount importance. John prays that things would go well for Gaius and that Gaius health would be good. That is a little like praying, "Bless Gaius." They are not very specific, and it could be that John's prayers are much more specific--it is just that in this short letter he does not go into detail and instead summarizes two areas of prayer for Gaius. So, one could hardly make a principle on the basis of a short note. The two other areas, also written generally and possibly prayed more specifically are that things go well for Gaius' soul and (inferred) that Gaius walks in truth. And John does state that he has not greater joy than to hear that his spiritual children walk in truth. Health and things going well are nice, but the greatest joy is walking in truth. That is my prayer for my children (spiritual and physical). I just don't want life to go nice, although that can be good. My greater joy is to hear that my children walk in truth. There is no greater joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment