Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

QT 23 Dec 14, Luke 14:7-11, Humility looks so much better than pride

Luke 14:7-11 (ESV) Now he told a parable to those who were invited, when he noticed how they chose the places of honor, saying to them, 8 "When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you be invited by him,  9 and he who invited you both will come and say to you, 'Give your place to this person,' and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place.  10 But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, 'Friend, move up higher.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you.  11 For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."


NOTE: I don't think the issue was "how do I get myself honored?" Rather, this fits more closely with Romans 12, "do not think of yourself more highly than you ought to." Humility is to be preferred over pride, and recognition over exaltation. There are few things so ugly as pride. I should know. I have fallen down that path many a time. You would think at my age that I was over it--that I would not care what others think of me, but no, I still struggle. I know what is true and right, but I still try to exalt myself. I am a little more subtle in my old age, and I still find ways to insert my importance or my accomplishments. Lord, forgive me for my pride. I know it is ugly. Give me grace to live humbly before others.

No comments:

Post a Comment