Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 4, 2014

QT 4 Dec 14, Prov 15:32, We need help to see our blind spots

Prov 15:32 (ESV) Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.


NOTE: As a culture, and maybe it is a little more than that--as fallen human beings--we rebel against reproof. We don't want to be told that what we are doing is wrong. Some of the reason is pride and arrogance. I think another reason is that we don't appreciate the value of correction. Or we think we are capable of correcting ourselves in time. And even more importantly, we don't realize that we have blind spots, things that are known by others but are unknown by ourselves. Our blind spots are worsened when people don't correct us, because we assume our actions are correct since no one says otherwise, and so our blind pots become hardened in us. We day, "they (the blind spots) are just who we are, and not something that needs correction." Which is why it is so important to listen to reproof and to tough love, so that the blind spots do not become hardened within us. But that requires a special friend who is willing to say hard things without worry of losing our love or friendship. For most people, the closest thing we have to that friendship is family. But there is one more approach to gaining reproof and understanding to blind spots, and that is to ask God. David prayed, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Ps 139:23-24, ESV)" Lord, I do pray, open my eyes to my faults and hidden sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment