Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

QT 30 Dec 14, Eccl 7:10, Learn contentment by learning to be thankful

Eccl 7:10 (ESV) Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?"
For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.


NOTE: So, we do have to be a little careful with Ecclesiastes since the first part of the book is wisdom that Solomon gained from a human perspective. But in this case I think he has captured a real problem of man and that is the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. It reveals itself in multiple ways. In some cases, it is the belief that what I have not experienced (future) is what will make me happy. And it is seen (as in the verse) as a rosy view of past circumstances as having been better than what we are experiencing now. That is seldom actually the case, and if the person were able to go back we would find that the person would then wish for the most recent experience or some other experience, or even, as in the first case, the unrealized ideal future case. So what is the problem? It is discontent. We have not learned the secret of contentment. We have not learned to enjoy life as we are living. And so we wish our lives away hoping for a day when we will reach our picture of happiness, never stopping to enjoy or appreciate the present. In college, I wished for the weekends to come. And then I wished for the long breaks. And then I wished for the year to be over. And then I wished to start back up. And then one day, I realized I was wishing my life away. The key lesson is to develop thankfulness for what we have and what we are experiencing now. Make a list. Pray about all the things that you are thankful for. Make a point of seeing the good in the present. And look for the things that you can only experience now. For example, your children will only be their present age this year. It will never happen again. So appreciate that aspect of life. It may be hard but there are always things to appreciate in life if you take the time to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment