Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, June 12, 2015

QT 12 Jun 15, Isa 10:12-13, Do we deny the facts of God's ultimate rule and continue in our arrogance?

Isa 10:12-13 (ESV) When the Lord has finished all his work on Mount Zion and on Jerusalem, he will punish the speech of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria and the boastful look in his eyes. 13  For he says:

"By the strength of my hand I have done it,
and by my wisdom, for I have understanding;
I remove the boundaries of peoples,
and plunder their treasures;
like a bull I bring down those who sit on thrones.

NOTE: This is one of the primary struggles of all mankind, our arrogance. Arrogance can be defined in many ways, but in the bible, one of the main ways it is defined is as: a belief that I can live my life without God, that I do not need God, that I can have meaningful purpose without God, and that I can be successful without God. The king of Assyria was convinced that he did not need God. He did not believe in the God of the bible nor did he believe that he needed the God (that he did not acknowledge) to allow him to conquer the known world. But he was wrong. Not only was he wrong about the God that he did not believe exists, but that God would pull him off of his throne for his very arrogance. For the bible, the question of God working in history is not a question of existence, but a statement of absolute truth. Denial of a fact does not change the fact. Of course, how do you prove the statement? That is a lot harder but not impossible. The Old Testament alone provides evidence through the fulfilled prophecies of God's appointed prophets. Jesus' life and miracles provide evidence. The learned is left with one of two options, deny the facts because they are too uncomfortable for his own unproven world view, or accept what is laid out before us -- God rules the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment