Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 11, 2016

QT 11 Feb 16, Heb 4:14-16, Prayer for worries

Hebrews 4:14–16 (RSV)
14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

NOTE: Over the last few months, I have worried over a number of items. At times, I despaired of seeing those worries come to greater fruition. Oftentimes I turned to God in prayer and gave him those worries. My desire was for him to take away those worries (according to my ideas), but my focus was that he would bring about good in the end. I prayed specifically. In one case, I received an answer that was the opposite of my desire, but in actuality closer to what my true desire or end goal really should have been. I didn't realize it until I started to think through the prayer request a little more and saw how selfish my goal was and how God would have to be unjust to the other party to answer "my way." There were 4 or 5 main items of prayer and a number of smaller items all related to the same central event. This week the last of those major items was answered. There is still one smaller item to see answered, but God did take the worries from my attention (my focus) and he did answer them (mostly in his way and time). I know God answers prayer. My problem is that I want to see them answered my way. And so that causes me to hang onto the worry. But this time, I really sought God, not so much for the answer, as to take the worry from my mind. It is a much more peaceful way to live. This note is a reminder to myself. God does take our worries (1 Pet 5:13; Phil 4:6,7) and gives us peace. He also promises to answer for our good, according to his definition of our good (Rom 11:28). Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment