Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

QT 1 Feb 16, 1 Cor 9:15-18, Why do we serve?

1 Corinthians 9:15–18 (RSV)
15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have any one deprive me of my ground for boasting. 16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in my preaching I may make the gospel free of charge, not making full use of my right in the gospel.


NOTE: God has provided abundantly for me. It is nice to have "ministry supporters," and I can certainly use prayer, but God has provided financially. Like Paul, I am ecstatic that I can make my teaching of God's word free of charge. And while I certainly have a right to expect remuneration for the effort I put in, I know that my reward is sufficient in that I can serve in this ministry of teaching and discipling others. I have no desire for anything else. I love what I do. I love the people I serve. I love what I learn because it has eternal value. I would do it anyway, with or without an organization to stand behind me. In fact, I feel a certain sense of duty, because God has given so much financially and knowledge-wise to be faithful to the work God gives. If I am not faithful, he will not only not give more, he will take away what he has given. At least, that is the way I feel. So I serve out of a sense of thankfulness for salvation, responsibility for what he has given, and joy for the change I see in people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment