Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 8, 2016

QT 8 Feb 16, 2 Sam 24:10, The struggle with the flesh

2 Samuel 24:10 (RSV)
10 But David’s heart smote him after he had numbered the people. And David said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done. But now, O Lord, I pray thee, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.”

NOTE: Thankfully, we have Jesus' death on the cross as punishment for our sins and do not have to face the choice David faced for his sin. But, we are like David so much, and this verse just amplifies the truth. David knew it was wrong, and it was not until after the conclusion that he admits his sin. It took some amount of time to number the people and he could have stopped it at any time, but he did nothing until the number came back to him. Then, his guilt hit him, and he confessed his sin. On one side, I am comforted that a man, commended by God, could be so bull-headed and stupid. On the other hand, I am dismayed that my actions cost my savior as they did. I am bull-headed and stupid too. I know what is right to do but I fail. And I usually admit my failure after the fact. God, forgive us for our stupidity and our failures to say no to our flesh. Someday we will have new bodies which will free us from the old flesh. I look forward to that day when I can live confidently and unashamed before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment