Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 24, 2016

QT 24 Mar 16, Job 3:20-26, Sometimes the hurting, just need to vent

Job 3:20–26 (RSV)
20 “Why is light given to him that is in misery,
and life to the bitter in soul,
21 who long for death, but it comes not,
and dig for it more than for hid treasures;
22 who rejoice exceedingly,
and are glad, when they find the grave?
23 Why is light given to a man whose way is hid,
whom God has hedged in?
24 For my sighing comes as my bread,
and my groanings are poured out like water.
25 For the thing that I fear comes upon me,
and what I dread befalls me.
26 I am not at ease, nor am I quiet;
I have no rest; but trouble comes.”


NOTE: Job's stoic response gives way pretty quickly to depression. Whatever happened in the past was now meaningless and worthless. All his accomplishments, anybody he ever helped, and all the relationships he developed in life -- everything he ever experienced is not worth the pain he is now experiencing. And to a degree he is right, because it really does feel that way. And if one knew ahead of  time about the suffering, would a person still want to go through life? That is a hard question. But what is good in this section is that Job is becoming real. Job is opening up and letting his emotions out. Unfortunately his friends believe the questions are real questions and not the expression of a broken man, and so they begin to solve his problem, and in the process, only make things worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment