Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 31, 2016

QT 31 Mar 16, Job 4:13-16,5:6-8,27, Mixing principles and developing bad theology

Job 4:13–19 (RSV)
13 Amid thoughts from visions of the night,
when deep sleep falls on men,
14 dread came upon me, and trembling,
which made all my bones shake.
15 A spirit glided past my face;
the hair of my flesh stood up.
16 It stood still,
but I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
there was silence, then I heard a voice:
17 ‘Can mortal man be righteous before God?
Can a man be pure before his Maker?
18 Even in his servants he puts no trust,
and his angels he charges with error;
19 how much more those who dwell in houses of clay,
whose foundation is in the dust,
who are crushed before the moth.
Job 5:6–8 (RSV)
6 For affliction does not come from the dust,
nor does trouble sprout from the ground;
7 but man is born to trouble
as the sparks fly upward.
8 “As for me, I would seek God,
and to God would I commit my cause;
Job 5:27 (RSV)
27 Lo, this we have searched out; it is true.
Hear, and know it for your good.”

NOTE: Eliphaz's vision is correct, although incorrectly applied. It is true that no man can be righteous before God on their own merit (vss 13-19). That is why Jesus had to die for our sins, because no man can meet God's standard of perfection, except God himself. But then Eliphaz confuses things by suggesting that people bring trouble upon themselves. And that one can avoid suffering by seeking out God. As a general piece of wisdom, there is much truth in those principles, but they are not absolute nor do they explain all suffering. In fact, if Eliphaz was to stop and think, if no man can be perfect before God, then all men should expect suffering. But he would probably argue on the degree of suffering as dependent upon our efforts. His last statement makes it very clear that he sees Job at fault, since it is for Job's own good that he listens to Eliphaz and his friends. God's anger against Eliphaz and his friends is because of their skewing of practical wisdom with a works-oriented message, ala the Health and Wealth Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment