Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 11, 2016

QT 11 Apr 16, Job 10:1-3, The real Job, raw, bitter and angry

Job 10:1–3 (NRSV) “I loathe my life;
I will give free utterance to my complaint;
I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.
2 I will say to God, Do not condemn me;
let me know why you contend against me.
3 Does it seem good to you to oppress,
to despise the work of your hands
and favor the schemes of the wicked?


NOTE: Only one conversation and Job's patience has broken. He is complaining and he admits that he is bitter. He blames God and believes that God is fighting against him. He questions God's motives, not realizing that in fact there is good that will come out of these events. This is Job, the real Job, the person that God says has spoken what is right (42:7). In the end (chapter 38) God does question Job's understanding of what has really happened, but he does not rebuke his emotional outburst. Job is a far different man seven days after he stoically pronounced "shall we receive good from God and not the bad," and "blessed be the name of the Lord." We focus too much on Job's early responses, while the shock and numbness has still not worn off, and we forget the days afterwards as Job increasingly lets his emotions out. He is wrong in one thing though. He condemns God for his actions without realizing his need or the good that can come out of suffering. But being mad at God or bitter or complaining in the midst of suffering is not unusual, and is not necessarily wrong either.

No comments:

Post a Comment