Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Sunday, April 24, 2016

QT 19 Apr 2016, Suffering is not pointless; God uses it to bring good to the believer; It reminds the unbeliever of his rebellion

Job 33:9–14 (NRSV)
9 You say, ‘I am clean, without transgression;
I am pure, and there is no iniquity in me.
10 Look, he finds occasions against me,
he counts me as his enemy;
11 he puts my feet in the stocks,
and watches all my paths.’
12 “But in this you are not right. I will answer you:
God is greater than any mortal.
13 Why do you contend against him,
saying, ‘He will answer none of my words’?
14 For God speaks in one way,
and in two, though people do not perceive it.


NOTE: Elihu now speaks. He is the youngest of the group. Job never answers him nor does God comment on his speech. I believe the gist of his argument is in these verses. Basically Elihu questions Job's assumption that God will not answer his charges. He will also make the argument that no one is innocent but unlike Job's three friends will not argue sin as the reason for Job's suffering. He restores the fact that God is just. The problem is that we do not see the reason behind our pain, it seems pointless. But are we truly knowledgeable enough to know that? Could there be a reason, and we lack the wisdom of God to understand it? Rather than charge God with wrong doing, faith would accept that there can be purpose and meaning in all suffering. Even if it does not come from God but directly from evil persons. How can we be so arrogant as to assume that we understand all things? Who made us the judge of what is right? But none of those arguments take away the pain of suffering, and so the best answer is not to answer another during their time of emotional response to suffering.

To the believe, God promises to use suffering for good (Rom 8:28). To the unbeliever, it reminds us to repent of rebellion (Luke 13:1-5) that started in the garden and ended the perfect world God had created.

No comments:

Post a Comment