Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, April 15, 2016

QT 15 Apr 16, Job 15:11-13, We need to be honest with God with our feelings

Job 15:11–13 (NRSV)
11 Are the consolations of God too small for you,
or the word that deals gently with you?
12 Why does your heart carry you away,
and why do your eyes flash,
13 so that you turn your spirit against God,
and let such words go out of your mouth?


NOTE: Eliphaz now criticizes Job for abandoning his stoicism. This is the typical Christian reaction to a person who is struggling in his or her suffering. We exalt stoicism and attack raw emotion. Having been there and seen both sides, and lived both sides, I am now of the opinion that stoicism is a lie. I would much rather see a person honest with God with his emotions. After all, one cannot hide anything from God. The problem is that we try to hide from ourselves, at least when I practiced stoicism, that is what I later saw I was doing. I struggled with the ups and downs during our long period of suffering, and my only goal was to see stability in my life. I thought I would give up the highs if I could be assured the lows would not happen. But, I think we stop living when we stop experiencing the joys and sadness of life. And after a while, I embraced the joy and I suffered through the pain with true tears. And in the end, I felt so much better and so much alive as compared to when I tried to hide the pain by saying, "God is in charge, I have faith." Those words are true, but they are not the emotions that I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment