Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

QT 12 Apr 16, Job 13:1-5, Even Job mistakenly thinks health and wealth is a correct theology

Job 13 (NRSV) “Look, my eye has seen all this,
my ear has heard and understood it.
2 What you know, I also know;
I am not inferior to you.
3 But I would speak to the Almighty,
and I desire to argue my case with God.
4 As for you, you whitewash with lies;
all of you are worthless physicians.
5 If you would only keep silent,
that would be your wisdom!

NOTE: This is part of Job's reply to Bildad, who may be a good friend, but at this point, his words are not helping. Job offers some good advice for all three, to keep quiet. Job also starts a new theme and that is a desire to argue his case before God. This seems unusual in the sense that Job recognizes God's wisdom is much greater than his, but he seems to believe that he has a good argument. He knows he has done nothing deserving of the suffering he is experiencing and he wants to argue that case. So, in a sense, Job believes the same thing his friends do, he is also arguing a health and wealth gospel--do good and God will bless, do evil and God will curse. Except he knows he has done nothing wrong, therefore he believes he has a case. The difference is that he is not trying to convince others of their sin. But he doesn't seem to understand any better than they do, but he doesn't point fingers. God will rebuke him ultimately as well when he starts out with his "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment