Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 12, 2017

QT 12 Jun 17, Psalm 23, Trust and prudence, a delicate tension

Psalm 23:1–2 (ESV) — 1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.

NOTE: The obvious and straightforward interpretation for David (the Psalmist) is that God takes care of his needs. God will provide to the extent that David shall not want. This is David's heart, although not always his action. In the story of Bathsheba, he wanted something he did not have, and yet something that he had in abundance. David struggled, just like us. But he also knew, that when he was seeking God, he was truly satisfied. God met his needs. He only needed to trust. This is a common them in the Psalms, the necessity of trust. In this Psalm, the word "shepherd" aptly defines how our trust should look. The sheep trusted the shepherd to protects, to take them to fields with food, to take them to water, and to take them to shady areas to relax. They did not need to plan or worry. They could trust their shepherd. But God has also given us a mind and more insight than sheep. God does expect us to act prudently with the information he provides. How much do we trust? How much do we act? Do we do both? And what does that really look like in our soul? I think "trust" should overwhelm prudence in our manner of life, but not replace prudence and common sense. And in this sense, prayer can be helpful to make that distinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment