Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 5, 2017

QT 5 Jun 17, Ps 78:1-4, Sometimes we can't know all the answers

Psalm 78:1–4 (ESV) — 1 Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings from of old,
3 things that we have heard and known,
that our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

NOTE: The Hebrew word for parable can also be translated proverb, but in the context here, we see an example of synonymous parallelism, so that the second line of verse 2 says the same thing. The Hebrew word for dark sayings means a riddle, enigmatic, or perplexing saying. So the word parable does makes sense in the context. Jesus used parables to hide the meaning of his message after the nation had rejected him as the Messiah. So, why is the Psalmist, Asaph, using parables or riddles in his teaching? He explains his reasoning in verses 3 and 4. These tough teachings were handed down by their fathers. The answers are not obvious or even easy to understand at times. But just because we don't understand something, does not make it untrue or unworthy of our attention. God will give us understanding in time. Although, it may be a very long time, even to the end of our life. Again, just because a truth of scripture is hard, is not a good reason to ignore the teaching. Our emotions demand answers. Our mind recognizes that all knowledge is not accessible to a finite mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment