Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

QT 27 Jun 17, Ps 84:3-4, Experiencing Blessing

Psalm 84:3–4 (ESV) — 3 Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may lay her young,
at your altars, O Lord of hosts,
my King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house,
ever singing your praise! Selah

NOTE: Technically, there were two groups that had a physical presence near the tabernacle, birds who might nest in crevices and the Priests who lived nearby. Since David wrote this, there was no temple, only the tabernacle. The priests would ultimately live in the temple in rooms attached to the temple. Also the temple would provide sanctuary for birds in the outside structure (as birds do find crevices). Since this was written before the literal fulfillment, David must be speaking metaphorically. The blessing comes not from physical proximity but from relational necessity. A person who knows how important a relationship with God is and pursues it with his whole heart, is a blessed person. What does that mean? Blessing is a calm assurance that my life is right, I have meaning and purpose in my life, and I have hope in an even more glorious future. I cannot think of anything I would desire more.

[Editor's note: the Psalmist is not David, my mistake.]

No comments:

Post a Comment