Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 26, 2017

QT 26 Jun 17, Ps 84:1-2, Our love for God grows to the extent we spend time with him

Psalm 84:1–2 (ESV) — 1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
O Lord of hosts!
2 My soul longs, yes, faints
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and flesh sing for joy
to the living God.

NOTE: David longs to be in the dwelling place of the Lord. The following word "faints," suggests coming to an end. David could die there and be satisfied. David loved the Lord. He loved the dwelling place of his name. He loved his presence. He loved every aspect of God. He truly had a heart for God unlike any other man on the planet. How did that happen? How does one develop such a deep relationship with God? David only had the first five books of the bible, and maybe some of the history of Judges. But he fell in love with God despite such little information about God. David went through many difficult times in life. He felt anxiety, he felt lonely, he felt forgotten by God. He sinned against God, he lied to save his life and the lives of his men. But despite all his failures, ultimately he learned and developed this deep love for God. I can only suppose that unlike most people, David spent consistent deep time with God in prayer and the word. That is the only way to truly know God on such a level. It challenges me to go beyond my 20 minutes of quiet time each day to spending some serious time alone with God. That is my plan in the next couple months of this summer -- to find time alone with God, half-days and full-days.

[Editor's note: the Psalmist is not David, my mistake.]

No comments:

Post a Comment