Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

QT 15 Sep 2020, Amos 1:9, Leading and not abusing leadership


Amos 1:9 (ESV) —
9 Thus says the Lord:
“For three transgressions of Tyre,
and for four, I will not revoke the punishment,
because they delivered up a whole people to Edom,
and did not remember the covenant of brotherhood.

NOTE: In Israel, a slave was a choice of an individual to pay off debt. It was not without a timeframe unless the individual made that choice. There was the capture of enemies that were utilized as slaves but that was also not indefinite. In this verse both, Phoenicia (Tyre) and the Philistines (Gaza) had engaged in forced slavery and selling people to Edom. That in God's eyes was sin. It was different from other forms of slavery that Israel practiced and it was wrong. I think our problem in understanding slavering is a misunderstanding of the types and conditions of slavery. When a person sold himself for a fixed period of time to pay off a debt (today we might call that a contract), that was not evil. Even the temporary capture of a conquered people was not evil, especially if the warring countries had initiated the conflict and caused damage to the country. I do believe that in the case of conquest, forced slavery, would be considered evil if it continued indefinitely. Of course, humans are sinners, and all institutions are abused by those in power. These abuses have led to labor unions to prevent the slavery by companies. Today, labor unions have probably also exceeded their usefulness by those in power of the labor union. As a people, we just continue to sin against each other in the long run.

PRAYER: Father, I pray I would not take advantage of people or abuse my authority. I want to be humble, caring, circumspect, and positive to everyone who works for me. Give me grace to do that and to be an example of a good Christian leader .

No comments:

Post a Comment