Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

QT 16 Sep 2020, Amos 1:11, We should be amazed at God's patience

 Amos 1:11 (ESV) — 
11 Thus says the Lord: 
“For three transgressions of Edom, 
and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, 
because he pursued his brother with the sword 
and cast off all pity, 
and his anger tore perpetually, 
and he kept his wrath forever. 

NOTE: Both Edom and then in the next passage, Ammon, are identified with some very cruel actions (sin) against Israel. There was an incident in the news yesterday which was horrifying to me. The person wasn't killed or physically injured. The young autistic boy was mistreated by a mob of children (although one was hardly a child, 19 years old). The evil and cruelty of their actions left me in tears and very angry that such things happen in our society. And that is such a small example of what is happening all around the world on a daily, probably hourly (or sooner) basis. Our world is cruel and disgusting and deserving of the punishment that is coming upon it.

The atheist argues that if God exists and is loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful, he should stop the evil things in the world. But man rejected God in the garden and wanted to live life as his own god. We should be amazed, not that God does not fix things (since man rejected his involvement), but that his patience has been so great. We are not deserving anything but a horrible life-ending judgment. 

PRAYER: Lord, it is hard to even pray for mercy. The sin in my world seems so great. I know we are unworthy of mercy, not matter "how much" sin exists. But, it pains my heart at times when I hear of our cruelty. You punished Edom and Ammon for their sins. You will punish my nation too for their sins. I do pray we would turn from our wicked ways and seek you.


No comments:

Post a Comment