Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, March 11, 2022

QT 3/11/2022 Matt 22:41-46, Putting God first

Matthew 22:41–46 (ESV) —

41 Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question, 42 saying, “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” 43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,

44 “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord,

“Sit at my right hand,

until I put your enemies under your feet” ’?

45 If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?” 46 And no one was able to answer him a word, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions.

 

NOTE: The Pharisees could not understand the straightforward truth (that the fisherman, Peter, had already verbalized) that Jesus was the divine Son of God as well as the human son of David. The Pharisees rejected their Messiah and the fig tree was cursed. The fig tree at the beginning of this section is Israel. The fig tree was not producing fruit. Jesus cursed the fig tree. Individuals from Israel (one could call a new remnant) will rise up and carry the gospel to the world, but the nation (represented by its spiritual leaders) had rejected the messiah and brought judgment upon themselves (first in 70AD and again in the second half of the tribulation period). Jesus clearly knew who he was and what was going to happen in this last week of his life. This was their last chance, and the missed it.

 

PONDER:

  1. God is very patient with us, but God's judgement must also be exercised. For the unbeliever, the days are running short.
  2. For the believer, God is also our father, and he will discipline us for not taking him seriously.

 

PRAYER: Father, I do ask for your mercy. I do struggle in this body to do the right things. Forgive me. Give me strength to make the right choices and to put you first in all areas of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment