Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 14, 2022

QT 3/14/2022 Matt 23:1-4, Teaching with integrity

Matthew 23:1–4 (ESV) — 1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, 3 so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. 4 They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.

 

NOTE: The scribes and Pharisees legally and officially sit in Moses' seat, the seat of authority. They teach but don't do, and they add burdens (the oral tradition) without following those rules themselves. There is always a great danger that a teacher abuse his authority. We teachers need to be honest and we need to act in integrity. We should do the things we teach. We don't have to be perfect, but if we are not doing the things we suggest, we probably should not be suggesting those things as applications. We teachers have a very special role from God that we should not abuse, no matter how small our class.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I do the things I suggest others ought to do?
  2. If not, why am I teaching what I am not doing?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to evaluate my "applications" that I teach to make sure I too am doing what I suggest others to do. I know I don't have to be perfect, but I must make the effort to do what is right as well less I fail in integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment