Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

QT 3/15/2022 Matt 23:5-7, Giving the glory to God

Matthew 23:5–7 (ESV) — 5 They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, 6 and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues 7 and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi by others.


NOTE: Blomberg divides these verses into achieving importance by dress, position, and greetings. But basically, it is all about pride -- being recognized above others in a way that suggests importance and better than others. Blomberg had an interesting comment about worship,

 

One thinks of modern “high church” ceremonialism and “low church” showmanship, both of which often distract from true worship by calling unnecessary attention to the human worship leaders (Blomberg, C. (1992). Matthew (Vol. 22, p. 342))

 

Fortunately, we are blessed with leadership in my church that are not into showmanship. But everyone struggles at times with these things. I can remember being a military commander -- there was something special about the room being called to attention when I entered. I did not stop it because it was a military tradition and important for respect, and … probably I like it. But I think the years have shown me the foolishness of the feeling. I don't want to be noticed and I don't want to toot my own horn. But I do want to do a good job which may bring about recognition. My boss tells me to cast a long shadow. I like the phrase, because it is the shadow that is seen and not me directly. This all relates to being content, being comfortable with who I am and where I am. Rather than seeking status, I just need to do the very best job I can in all the things where I have responsibilities: teaching the bible, leading adult "intentional discipleship groups," and leading data scientists to build tools for the business.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I comfortable with who I am and where God has placed me?
  2. Do I try to puff myself up so that others will "see" my importance?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my futile attempts to look good in the eyes of men. I want the things I do to make you look good. I want to make an impact by good works. I want to be content with my lot in life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment