Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

QT 3/8/2022 Matt 22:23-38, Treating everyone with respect

Matthew 22:23–28 (ESV) —

23 The same day Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection, and they asked him a question, 24 saying, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother.’ 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first married and died, and having no offspring left his wife to his brother. 26 So too the second and third, down to the seventh. 27 After them all, the woman died. 28 In the resurrection, therefore, of the seven, whose wife will she be? For they all had her.”

 

NOTE: The Sadducees could have phrased their question with only two brothers, but they chose the absurd situation of seven brothers to make their point. Jesus' answer is instructive because he essentially answers using two areas where Jesus and the Sadducees would disagree (life after death, and the existence of angels). Tomorrow, we will look at the answer. Today, I would like to focus on the Sadducees need to make the question ridiculous versus respectful. By making it ridiculous, the point is to shame the person answering, i.e., "how stupid that person is for not thinking through the implications of a belief." As we will see in the answer, the real stupidity was an assumption implied in the question -- that is, life after death will be the same as life before death. There will be some similarities. Our outward bodies appear to have some similarity (Jesus was recognizable, although not by all), Jesus ate food, life will have purpose, life will continue to have relationships, and life will experience beauty as well as many other sensory inputs. But as we later see in the answer, marriage is not part of our future life. The Sadducees would have come out better if they had shown a little more humility in their question. Why ask a question when your intent is to embarrass the person answering the question? Could it have been asked differently so as not to be so arrogant? The answer to both is yes, and we would do well to show respect to all people.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I treat people I disagree with? Am in respectful in my conversations?
  2. Do I show arrogance in my question by making my argument, rather than just asking a question?

 

PRAYER: Father, Forgive me for my arrogance at times. Help me to treat all people with respect at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment