Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 21, 2013

QT 21 Nov 13, We can change the people around us

1 Sam 26:13-14, 21-25 (ESV) Then David went over to the other side and stood far off on the top of the hill, with a great space between them. 14 And David called to the army, and to Abner the son of Ner, saying, "Will you not answer, Abner?" Then Abner answered, "Who are you who calls to the king?"
21 Then Saul said, "I have sinned. Return, my son David, for I will no more do you harm, because my life was precious in your eyes this day. Behold, I have acted foolishly, and have made a great mistake." 22 And David answered and said, "Here is the spear, O king! Let one of the young men come over and take it. 23  The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the Lord gave you into my hand today, and I would not put out my hand against the Lord's anointed. 24 Behold, as your life was precious this day in my sight, so may my life be precious in the sight of the Lord, and may he deliver me out of all tribulation." 25 Then Saul said to David, "Blessed be you, my son David! You will do many things and will succeed in them." So David went his way, and Saul returned to his place.

NOTE: This appears to be the last time that Saul sought out David to kill him--27:4 seems to confirm the fact, although for a different reason. David always brings out the best in Saul, and the reason is that David always does the right thing. The result is that Saul repents of his sin after seeing David's mercy. For a king to admit to being foolish is a major event. And not only does David bring out the best in Saul, but the misfits who follow him around are also changed. Some of them will become David's mighty men (2 Sam 23). David reminds me of Paul's words, that we are to be the aroma of Christ to the people around us. To some, it is a warning of spiritual death, to others it is the promise of spiritual life. Everything we do should be a blessing to others and not a curse. God will curse the wicked, that is not our job. Our job is to bring as many as possible into the kingdom. That means we are to live as Christ's aroma, a fragrance of blessing in a wicked world. We do the right thing, even when we are mistreated. We need to spend and be spent with our lives for the lives of others. We need to pray for the lost--our neighbors and co-workers. We need to sacrificially serve others. We need to consider others more important than ourselves. We need to live like Christ to those around us. As the poem goes: "you are writing a chapter each day, by the things that you do, and the words that you say; men read what you right, distorted and true, what is the gospel according to you? (anonymous)"

No comments:

Post a Comment